Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Draft Results and Grades

So the draft was Sunday night, and yet again you can just guess what pick I ended up with (hint it starts with 1 and ends with 0) so my conspiracy theory about commissioners always having the last pick continues to look stronger and stronger as the years pass. One day I'll learn and force someone else to have this job. Draft Results are here below on this link, and according to Yahoo Albert had the best draft of our league. I take any chance at winning very seriously, so yes I'm majorly pissed I can't even when THAT award. I will give my non professional probably way off grades to each team as well. It's basically just a gut thing I go with, and knowing me, every team I think did bad will be good and vice versa so I'm sure the other owners are crossing their fingers hoping I bash their team.

First the Draft Results here
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/88866/draftresults


Now on to the grades!!


Matt Gonzales-Dr. Wily's Robots- For the 2nd straight year in a row, Matt decided to let the trusty Yahoo computers auto draft his team and you know, I honestly believe it came through big time and with flying colors. Seriously it's one of the scariest teams in the league. When you start with the #1 pick you are guaranteed a stud like Adrian Peterson, then you get Frank Gore and Phillip Rivers next to say that's a good start is an understatement. Having two stud RB's is damn hard in a 10 team league, especially when you have to wait forever for the 2nd pick and if (and I know it's a big if) Frank Gore can stay healthy, I think Matt has one of the better rb tandems in the league. So then you think his receivers would be lacking right?? Not at all, Brandon Marshall (who is really better than what we saw last year), Dwayne Bowe (yeah, last year probably won't be repeated, but still this late as a #2??? Good value) and Kenny Britt (Definitely a great #3 with upside to be even better if he can stay outta damn trouble) are his starters. Then you throw in Dallas Clark, and that's one damn fine offensive arsenal. Also because of autodrafting, Matt gets the Cream of the Crop of Defenses and Kickers (Jets and Mason Crosby). The only drawback of autodrafting is you kind of miss out on more reliable backups because it drafts your defense and kicker before drafting backups but even here I still think it could've been worse. Eli Manning is more than serviceable (Hell, Matt rode Eli to the playoffs last year), Santana Moss is a decent plug n play option as well. Fred Jackson as a backup??? Eh, that's a weak spot definitely and if Gore or Peterson get hurt Matt's in trouble big time. I'm not a big fan of backup TE's and D's. AJ Green is too much of a question mark, though the trend of Rookie WR's seem to dictate he won't have much impact. Overall not much depth, Matt's going to have be pro active in the waiver wires more than most would.


Overall Grade- Solid A- I should probably lower the letter grade since Matt didn't actually draft this team, but I'm not going to take that in consideration. I'm just looking at the players that were drafted for this team. This is a case where it an autodraft worked out for the best as far as starters go and this is championship caliber team if everyone can stay on board. Nice Job Yahoo errrr. I mean Matt.


Robert Puente- The Bad Bobofies- So of course in my dad's very first draft he gets the 2nd overall pick in the draft. Go figure. With Chris Johnson locked up with a contract, my dad was able to snatch up one of the safest studs in the draft. I kinda like Ray Rice a little more, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting Chris Johnson. Just hope missing training camp and the preseason doesn't make him rusty. At the end of the 2nd round he got himself a surefire stud in Drew Brees who is pretty much a lock to finish as one of the top QB's in fantasy again. Dad then went DeSean Jackson kind of early in the 3rd round and though I think he needed a top tier WR here, I kind of like Greg Jennings, Vincent Jackson, Miles Austin and even Mike Wallace more than DeSean personally. Mark Ingram in round 4 when Ahmad Bradshaw and DeAngelo Williams will still on board?? That's a pretty weak RB #2 in my opinion. I do like Witten and Holmes as he solidifies the tight end position and Holmes is a good fantasy #2 option. I've heard Chad Ochocinco hasn't been able to get himself on page with the New England playbook but for what was left of WR's he was the best of the bunch at the time. As far as depth, I actually think my dad will end up starting Brandon Jacobs over Mark Ingram, and Kevin Kolb is a nice bye week fill in for Drew Brees. Besides that, we don't play PPR so  Davone Bess doesn't excite me, neither does Nate Burleson and Tomlinson as another backup choice, I'm not too sold on either. Ideally it'd be nice to have more depth on your bench, but who knows, maybe LT and Ingram will surprise all of us.


Overall Grade- Lower End B- For being his first fantasy anything draft, and even then being a late addition to the league (with only like 4 mock drafts under his belt) it's not a bad rookie offering. I think my dad will be competitive, and with more experience it can only get better the more you play. Good job Dad!


Zach Schoreder- Shredders- Another newbie for our fantasy football league. Zach had the #3 pick and went with Jamaal Charles. At 3 you can basically flip a coin between Charles and Rice (though again I kinda prefer Rice, bu Charles is a big time player as well). The biggest question will be Mike Vick. Here's a guy who has the ability to seriously single handedly win you football games (trust me, I rode him last year, that guy SAVED my season) and when he's on fire, he's UNSTOPPABLE. And you get him near the end of the 2nd round???? This could seriously be the steal of the draft if Vick can even just be 3/4th of what he was last year. I like it a lot. I'm not a big Peyton Hillis guy, and since Cleveland is basically a one trick pony, I think D's will really focus on stopping Hillis, but he is the number one guy there and picking him here isn't a reach or anything just would rather bank on Forte and Steven Jackson. The big weakness on Zach's team is definitely Wide Receiver. When you wait till the 4th round to get your first WR, the talent pool is going to be a little thin. I like Brandon Lloyd as a solid #2, but as a #1 just don't see it. It's kinda down hill from here as Stevie Johnson and Mike Thomas round out his starters. That's a lot of pressure on two guys who might not duplicate last year's success and another that has not really proven himself. I love Vernon Davis as the tight end and he got him pretty late which looks like a value pick. Mike Tolbert isn't too bad of a backup but might lose touches if Ryan Mathews emerges and has the breakout year he was supposed to have last season. Again in a PPR league Danny Amendola is money, and he's not too bad of a backup WR, but I'd perfer someone with a little bit more upside. I've never liked Cedric Benson, but he's a decent backup and fill in play for the bye weeks. Backup QB is Matt Cassel, and I'm not a fan of his either, and with Vick's injury history, it would've probably been wise to snatch up a better backup QB.


Overall Grade-Lower end B- The Vick 2nd round steal really upped this grade, and Charles is nice at #3 but there's a lot of guys on this team that were drafted based on one year stats (Hillis, Stevie Johnson, Brandon Lloyd) that I really don't see reaching those heights again. Plus a backup QB was vital when you draft Mike Vick and Matt Cassel just won't cut it.






Leeland Lawrence- The_Twin_Killers- I absolutely love the first 3 picks of the drafts. Ray Rice and Matt Forte and two of the best pass catching RB's in the league ,and to be able to grab both is very nice indeed. Add Hakeem Nicks who had a hell of a season last year and has been highly regarded in fantasy circles is a great #1 WR. I don't know if it is for trade bait or if he felt value was there, but going for a 3rd running back in LaGarrette Blount was a bit of headscratcher with Brandon Marshall and Brandon Lloyd still available (both excellent #2 WR options). Leeland also waiting till round 7 to finally pick a QB. Putting all your faith in Matthew Stafford is definitely risky and it'll be interesting to see if Stafford can stay healthy enough to make it worth the risk. I'm not a fan of two WR's from the same team, which is the strategy Leeland is going with getting both Mario Manningham and Hakeem Nicks. I dunno, with two in the same offense someone is not getting the ball. At least grabbing 4 quality RB's in the first 6 rounds gives him excellent depth when the bye weeks roll around, though we'll see if Tim Hightower is legit or a preseason wonder. Josh Freeman is a good bye week backup, but you have to wonder if Peyton Manning's injury is gonna hurt the Colts WR's like Austin Collie. I think Leeland will play matchups with Rob Gronkowski and Brandon Pettigrew as his TE. No clear cut starter there.  WR depth looks a little lacking with Mike Sims Walker and Lee Evans.


Overall Grade-B- Those first three picks were gold to me, and if anything having 4 RB's could provide some interesting trade bait which might help in the long run. Stafford is interesting but if doesn't pan out for some reason, there are worse options to roll with than Josh Freeman. Manningham and Nicks will split points at the receiver position, and Collie's not only a health risk (concussion mania) but now faces a new  challenge in developing  chemistry with Kerry Collins. All in all though, I think those three picks combined with Matthew Stafford can definitely keep this team in the title hunt all year.


Albert Rodriguez- Channel 4 News Team- Last year's defending champion picked 5th and there was some controversy regarding his first round pick. Albert lost connection and was not able to draft in the first round creating an autopick selection. That selection...a guy a couple weeks ago going #1 in many drafts, Arian Foster. Foster hurt his hamstring and might be questionable for game 1 thus slipping in many drafts. When healthy, he's one of the most dangerous running backs in the game and this could be the steal of the 1st round when it's all said and done. Not bad for a screwed up unexpected auto pick. Then you add Calvin Johnson to the mix and that's an explosive 1-2 combo right off the bat. I think Steven Jackson is value at #25, and I think he still has some gas left in that tank.  I'm not huge on Dez Bryant, I think he'll have his moments, but as a #2 WR I think you'll need someone who's a little bit more consistent on a week to week basis. And Julio Jones as a starting #3?? I don't like that at all, since rookie WR's are usually not a major factor in their first season. Maybe having a top flight TE like Jermichael Finley will help disguise the weakness at WR. That was definitely a nice pick, and Matt Schaub is a nice QB to build your team around, you know he'll put up some nice passing numbers. Albert actually went defense early and got a defense that he'll probably use all year in Pittsburgh. Albert lacks RB depth as Ryan Grant and Daniel Thomas probably won't cut it. I like the WR depth though, and  I could see Albert ending up going with Michael Crabtree or Sidney Rice over Julio Jones as the season goes on. Huge mistake not carrying a backup QB though, and looking at the waiver wire, Albert better hope Matt Schaub survives all year.


Overall Grade- Mid B- Arian Foster at # 5 is a crazy good value and though risky, it's a risk worth taking. Also think Steven Jackson could still be a huge player this season, combine that with Calvin Johnson, Jermichael Finley, Matt Schaub, and Pittsburgh D and Albert has a nice chance of defending his title. Lack or RB Depth and No backup QB though, make me not go past a Mid B grade.


Mike Posey- Salt And Vinegar Chips- I'm sorry to say but Michael Turner is the WORST 1st round pick of the draft and in my opinion the only one not worthy of going top 10 much less #6. I think Turner is more suited in the 2nd round and I'd rather have guys like Frank Gore, LaSean McCoy, and Darren McFadden then Turner. I wouldn't normally argue with Brady in the 2nd round, but Brees and Michael Vick will still on the board, and though I can see passing on Vick. I like the Jennings pick and think he'll be a solid #1 WR once again, but I'm not sure if Gates is the Antonio Gates that used to be far and away the best TE in the league anymore. I'd honestly rather roll with Jermichael Finley, Jason Witten, Dallas Clark, and even Vernon Davis, but we'll see if Gates can regain his status of NFL Elite. BenJarvus Green Ellis as a #2 RB?? Ugh. Percy Harvin might be more of a high end #3, and Lance Moore isn't every week startable to me.  Malcolm Floyd was a nice pick and I actually would trust his production more than even Percy Harvin due to his migraine issues and QB situation in Minnesota. Pierre Thomas was one of the biggest busts last year, and this year he'll be splitting carries with Mark Ingram, Darren Sproles, and Chris Ivory on a team that really is a pass heavy team. I like Orton as a serviceable backup to Brady, Hines Ward is done in my opinion, and Kellen Winslow is a nice backup TE to Gates, in case of injury.


Overall Grade- C Not a fan of the 1st pick, nor a fan of the RB #2. Like I said Brady is more than capable of putting up monster numbers, but Brees being there just would've made more sense. It's not really that the players like Brady, Turner, Gates and Harvin are bad, it's just what was left on the table was better in my opinion.






Cindy Crisp- Da Boyz- Another autodraft team. This one is more of a middle of the pack draft. Not great but not bad either. Can't go wrong with Andre Johnson, the real question is can Darren McFadden and Shonn Greene live up to their ultimate potential and be the stud running backs they were primed to be? McFadden was leaps and bounds better last season but Greene was a downright bust yet everyone is high on him again. I'll believe it when I see it and I wouldn't wanna roll with two question marks at the RB position. Reggie Wayne might lose some value as he's not only a year older, but now has Kerry Collins throwing to him. Matt Ryan in the 5th round is a good pickup, I think he'll have a nice season this year.  Owen Daniels needs to stay healthy, if he does he can be a good TE to have, and Wes Welker isn't a bad #3. I like Cutler as a backup to fill in. WR depth is a little lacking with Robert Meachem and Pierre Garcon and Marshawn Lynch is Cindy's only backup RB.


Overall Grade- C+ Andre Johnson is a no brainer, and I think McFadden will be good and justify his draft position. Shonn Greene?? Not a fan at all, and Wayne losing Manning hurts his fantasy status. Daniels is an injury plagued TE, but Matt Ryan should be a nice value in the 5th. An OKish team drafted by Yahoo.


Ryan McKinnis- Hoosier Daddy- Unfortunately one team had to have the bad autopick draft and Ryan was the unlucky victim. Mendenhall is great value at #7th pick, but I am just not sold on MJD at all, give me Gore or an elite WR like Fitzgerald or Calvin, or even a QB in Brees, Vick, or Brady over MJD, but this was the autopick going best player available route based on Yahoo's rankings. Mike Wallace had an outstanding season last year, and I'll semi buying him as a legit #1, Mike Williams Tampa Bay eh a solid #2 I guess, but I think Anquan Boldin has had his best days pass him by. The biggest blow though, is the Peyton Manning pick. No telling when he's coming back and I just don't believe Joe Flacco is a viable weekly starter. As a spot start back up sure, but to depend on him for 14 weeks??? I think Ryan needs to make a trade for a viable starter, other wise he might be treadin water from the get go. Jimmy Graham is everyone's favorite sleeper, so that's not a bad pickup. Joseph Addai as a back up RB, don't really like it. Plaxico could be an interesting backup option.


Overall Grade- D+ If not for Mendenhall and Mike Wallace (both Steelers) this could've been worse. The Manning blunder is what made this grade suffer the most and it could definitely damper Ryan's chances at winning a fantasy title.

Kenny Bybee- Take Dat Wit Chu-  So not surprisingly me and Kenny pick last, with Kenny picking 9th thus screwing me time after time and getting players that I want, starting with his first pick Aaron Rodgers. The best QB on the board period, and Kenny gets him at #9 due to A) Three auto picks and B)Posey unbelievably taking Michael Turner at 6. Kenny then bypasses RB's by getting a stud WR in Larry Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald wasn't even that bad with John Skelton and Max Hall throwing him the ball, imagine how good he'll be with an actual QB that's...gasp GOOD. By doing this though, Kenny is putting all his faith in one guy who's kinda been a disappointment and another who's injury plagued. As a Cowboy fan, I really wanted to draft Rashard Mendenhall over Felix Jones, but we went with the guy who had "home run potential" and so far it hasn't really worked out. Felix has looked nice in the preseason which caused his stock to rise in the fantasy game significantly. DeAngelo Williams is two years removed from a remarkable fantasy season, but last year he was downright horrific and then got injured and missed a lot of the season. Also Jonathan Stewart (who Kenny got as well, good luck with picking who to start) won't go away, so it's a big gamble to have DeAngelo as your #2 RB. Receivers are big time solid with Kenny adding Miles Austin (as long as Romo is healthy this guy is a beast) and Jeremy Maclin. Maclin as a 3? Impressive, indeed. Tony Gonzalez is on the downswing, but for what was left at TE, it's not bad, I still think he can put up some modest numbers. Ryan Mathews might have burned me last year but I love this pick here, it's low risk, and he could really be primed for a breakout season, and might at the end of the day be replacing DeAngelo or Felix in Kenny's lineup. I do not like Jahvid Best at all, too many injury concerns, but hey as a 4th RB, it's not a roster killer. Another pick I like is Sam Bradford as a backup QB. Another year to work that Rams offense, excellent pick for this late and as a spot start QB. Kenny does lack WR depth, Jordy Nelson and Donald Driver, both on the same team and with other mouths to feed on the prolific offense, but knowing Kenny he'll be very active on the waiver wires when need be.

Overall Grade- B+ Best QB in the draft, arguably 2nd best WR in the draft, along with two excellent WR's to go along with Fitz, RB might be a weakness, but might be if Felix and Deangelo Williams live up to expectations, and with Ryan Mathews waiting in the wings, Kenny might be able to afford one of them flaming out. Bradford as a backup, I really like this team and of course this is the team I face Week 1.

The Commish- RuggedRaymontHarris- Overall Grade A++++++ cause I'm awesome....

Just kidding, I'm pretty harsh on myself, and I don't care about back to back picks in a snake draft i absolutely LOATHE picking last, yet year after year I do (seriously does Yahoo penalize commissioners from receiving a low pick cause it would look fishy???). I wanted Aaron Rodgers but that bastard Kenny took him one pick before me and at 10 there wasn't one RB that I fell in love with. McFadden scares me, I'm staying completely away from MJD, so I went with what I thought was the best in the bunch in LaSean McCoy. I really worry about Vick taking so much away from him, but it's a gamble i felt like I had to take. I thought about Brees or Vick at #11, but I felt I needed to take a top tier WR while they were still on the board and I was confident I could still get a nice QB a few rounds later so I took Roddy White (came close to Calvin, but I'll go with the guy who I felt has a better QB situation) and ended up getting Tony Romo in round 4. In round 3, I was hoping Forte, Steven Jackon, or Felix would drop to me, and Greg Jennings and Mike Wallace were also gone so I got Vincent Jackson like this pick. Him and Rivers have excellent chemistry and I think Vincent Jackson is very high end #2 WR to own. RB's were getting thin, so I had to get Ahmad Bradshaw next. I worry about Brandon Jacobs, but Bradshaw has a proven track record and I think he'll just fine as my #2. But here's where I screwed up, Bradshaw and McCoy BOTH have the same BYE WEEK. Dumb planning on my part and I wasn't even aware until it was brought up a couple rounds later. I had to take back to back RB's in rounds 7 and 8 and went with best available in Beanie Wells and Knoshawn Moreno, both far from sure shots of being reliable. I dread the week I have to start them both at the same time. I added Marques Colston as my #3 WR and I really love my receivers. Rolling with Roddy White, Vincent Jackson, and Marques Colston every week is definitely something I can definitely live with.  I also took a flier on Reggie Bush in round 10. The TE's were all the same to me and I just went with Mercedes Lewis, who I think can be a solid if unspectacular play. I also feel like I have a very sold backup in Ben Roethlisberger. Big Ben is viable every week starter, so to get him as a backup to Romo is definitely a nice luxury to have. Braylon Edwards is my backup Receiver.

Overall Grade- B- I think I'm underselling McCoy, but I dunno, I'm worried about that, however I love my three receivers and QB, I have three backup running backs who could go either way as busts or could be impact players. I have a great option at backup QB in Roethlisberger. I think I did OK with myself in the draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment