Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Semi Finals Overview: The Wane McGarity Bowl Is Set

Image result for christian mccaffrey 
So honestly this is the worst playoffs I've ever seen in my entire time playing this dumb game. Seriously the past 3-4 weeks, when you take into account all the key injuries (and suspensions) and underwhelming performances from elite stars, it's been even more a crapshoot than ever to win a playoff game this year. Sooooo many guys busted this week, it's a who's who of top flight talent. Put it this way, not one team scored 100 points this week. And as you'll see in the recap, a record was set...but not the kind to proud of. After all the carnage, we do have our Wane McGarity Bowl officially set. So who got in? Here are the results.

Scott's Tots (9-6)               99.36
Rigmas Forever (8-7)        74.54

And once again I fail for the 4th time in the semis as my team outside of Justin Jackson and Alvin Kamara just didn't come to play. The score doesn't really show how close this matchup was. It was really a dreadful performance from both of our teams that started with 0 for me from Keenan Allen. Kenny got a pretty good Deshaun Watson performance, but the rest of his team was average at best down to awful on Saturday Night and Sunday. Philip Lindsay was held to under 7 points, neither Antonio Brown or Julian Edelman met their projections and Zach Ertz was held to under 4 points. I was actually a 3 point favorite going into the Monday Night games with Cam, Ian  Thomas, Michael Thomas, and Alvin Kamara still to go vs Kenny having Christian McCaffrey and Mark Ingram. But, as soon as the game started, the outcome was never in doubt. The game pretty much started with a 50 yard TD pass from....CHRISTIAN MCCAFFREY to a random tight end (not MY tight end) and it was just an embarrassing performance from my team the rest of the way. Only Kamara did anything, as Michael Thomas was again disappointing and Ian Thomas caught two passes on the very first Panthers drive and was done after that. Cam was terrible..god awful as I got the absolute worst QB performance I've gotten since I got a 0 from Tony Romo in the 2011 Finals. He finished with a pathetic 5 points and it's beyond obvious his injury is super serious, but he keeps on playing. T.Y. Hilton and Tarik Cohen had respectable games, but nothing mind blowing. So Kenny's team is the first team to reach back to back finals since Albert went to 3 straight back in 2010-2012, and it's his 3rd finals appearance overall, which ties Albert for most all time. It was far from pretty, but at the end of the day the better team did win. For me, it really felt like a super weird season. I never felt like my team had any sorts of consistency and I basically got a bye by default, not because I had a superior team. Also, what seems to be a common theme in the playoffs for me, my team just seems to run out of gas as honestly Cam and my Saints players have been pretty average the past 3-4 weeks. This time, I had no one else on my team to bail me out. I find solace in knowing that even had I played Damien Williams, I would've lost, so lineup decisions wouldn't have mattered. That's the way it goes sometimes. If I seem calm about it, ha, trust me, I wasn't, I had my meltdown last night (didn't even bother to watch the 2nd half of the game) and this morning begrudging congratulating Kenny on his victory. It sucks beyond belief, but it is what it is and I once again have to gear from the 3rd place to see if I can get money back. For Kenny, his team has been the best team to me for a while now, especially after Leland lost to key pieces in Kareem Hunt and Emmanuel Sanders so I think he'll go into the finals as the favorite. He's 0-2 so far in the Finals, but 3rd time could be the charm, and this could be his best team out of the 3 that have made the finals. 

No Soup For You (9-6)                 90.96
Light's Broken Bots (8-6)             47.32

WOW...this is the most unbelievable jaw dropping playoff performance I've ever seen and not in a good way. This is exactly why this game is so maddening and frustrating. Give a piece of two, this is the same exact team with the same exact core that scored 144 points just last week. This week...not even 50...not even 50 points..not an typo. Matt's team put a playoff record low 47.32 points in just a inexplicably awful performance. Patrick Mahomes basically accounted for half of the points. Thielen, Juju, Gronk, Kittle all massively flopped at the same time. How DOES THAT happen?! I really thought Matt was going to win this with ease, but it was just a nightmarish way to end what was a solid season. These playoffs have been absolutely awful so far and this matchup was basically over before the Sunday Night game. Leland had Robert Woods for fun. The scary thing, Leland's team was honestly not that great either and he lost yet ANOTHER key piece to his team with Tyler Boyd getting injured. For Leland, it's his 3rd finals appearance and he's 2-0 in the finals so far. He also ties Albert and Kenny for most Finals Appearances, but he can take over most Wane McGarity Bowl victories all time with 3 if he beats Kenny. It's going to be a really difficult task to say the least, but if anyone can get it done it's Leland. So the "Cousin Connection Bowl" will end up happening in the 3rd place game, while Kenny takes on Leland in Wane McGarity Bowl VIIII. 

Other League Notes: As typical with the loser bracket, no one really gives a crap or pays attention much to the results, but lost in the shuffle was Dad's miracle win against the Drew. It looked like Drew had an easy win to advance to the loser bracket finals with Drew Brees left to go, but Brees was terrible and Dad advances to his 3rd straight Michael Wiley Loser Bowl Finals by a mere 2 points. He'll take on Albert who easily beat Mike in the semis. The most awkward and pointless matchup of the playoffs is always the 5th place game. I mean, there's nothing to gain from it really. Kind of a pride thing. Eugene beat Mark by 3 points. Geez, seems like the consolation bracket is a lot more competitive than the actual playoffs. Finally, in what is a matchup about pride because no one wants to finish last place, Ryan won the 11th place game against Alex. For Alex, it officially ends a season that I'm sure he'd like to forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment