Monday, December 23, 2013

Wane McGarity Bowl Results: A New Champion Is Crowned

It started wayyyyyy back on July 13th. I opened the league up to officially start to the 2013 season. 12 teams signed up all with one goal. To win it all. To be named champion. Two of those 12, Albert and Leland, have already had the good fortune of earning that very title. One is never enough though (or in Albert's case, 2). Winning a championship..never gets old. So 12 teams put $50 on the line for a chance at immortality. To show up fellow league mates and be the all important #1. Through the draft lottery, to the draft itself. All the injuries, trades, waiver wire pickups, blowout losses, winning streaks, losing streaks, heartbreak wins and heartbreak losses, we all felt it one way or another. Before you know it, 12 teams dwindles to 6..then to 4 once more to 2 until there is just one left. After last night, there was just one left standing. One team standing above all. One team that could claim the one title 11 others were clamoring for. Last night, a new champion was crowned. Last night, someone etched their name in the Wane McGarity Bowl Hall Of Champions. And without further ado, the 2013 Wane McGarity Bowl Champion is......

Danny's Little Giants (2-0)        104
Not Even Lying (2-1)                 76.5

That's right folks, Yours truly is YOUR 2013 WANE MCGARITY BOWL CHAMPION. After the fantasy year from hell last season, where I finished 9th out of 10 teams, I rebounded like no other and claimed the ultimate prize this year against a very worthy opponent. The score doesn't indicate how close this really was. It all started with a 4 vs 4 in the early games. Each of us had a standout receiver, with Demaryius Thomas going off with 8 receptions, 123 yards and a TD, but Pierre Garcon basically matching him with a 11 reception, 144 yard, 1 TD performance of his own. For me though, Vincent Jackson was relative quiet with 98 receiving yards, Jason Witten was non existent with 2  catches for 13 yards, and Chris Johnson was serviceable but underwhelming with only 90 rushing yards. Luckily for me, Drew Brees wasn't that great as he only threw for 1 TD pass and 2 interceptions. Charles Clay did more than Witten, but it wasn't by much but Marvin Jones was actually a good plug n play with 6 for 85 and I found myself down 2.5 at the end of the early games. Next group of games would see a 4-2 and literally right off the bat Shane Vereen and Emmanuel Sanders both scored TD's very quickly for Kenny as that lead jumped to almost 20. Unfortunately for Kenny, that's all they did as both exited with injuries and wouldn't return. This was a huge blow for Kenny. Also, before the game, there was talk about Calvin not being 100% and being a true game time decision. Well, he no more than a glorified decoy as he did nothing of note which also affected Matthew Stafford who was BRUTAL yet again, and did his best to single handedly lose me yet another game. He finished with only 7 points. Pathetic performance. Kenny also had Rashad Jennings, who got screwed out of a TD by Darren McFadden, then couldn't convert a 2 yard goal line opportunity. He finished with only 45 rushing yards. Torrey Smith woke in the 2nd half and had 69 receiving yards but did nothing else of note. I was down 13.5 going into Sunday Night with Brandon Marshall and LeSean McCoy to go. No problem right? For sure Brandon Marshall would play as the Bears were playing for the division. If they beat the Eagles they would win the division and get in the playoffs. The Eagles had nothing to play for thanks to that miracle Cowboys win earlier in the day. Would McCoy play the whole game? Would he play just enough to help me get the win? Or would he Romo me and I'd lose by the narrowest of margins only because my guys were limited for non health related issues. Thankfully none of my worries came to be as LeSean McCoy saved the day with a huge 133 rushing yard, 2 rushing TD, 6 catches for 29 yards, 30 point performance. Hands down the no brainer Wane McGarity Bowl MVP. Brandon Marshall even added a TD for the hell of it. And that folks is your ballgame. I became the 3rd winner of the Wane McGarity Bowl. Validation. That's what it is. Fantasy football is made up of a combination of luck and skill. To win a championship though, validates yourself as a Fantasy Football Player. To beat fellow competitive teams led by Mike and Kenny made it even a sweeter ride. This is the total opposite of my crap the bed performance in my first Wane McGarity Bowl in 2011. And how fitting, that the only two guys I stuck with from Day 1. The only two guys on my team that were untouchable, Pierre Garcon and LeSean McCoy, were the ones that came up the biggest on the biggest stage. What a feeling. No matter what happens from this point on, I am a champion. It's very difficult to get tot this point much less win it. You always hope it's you, but things happen and for some reason or another, opportunities are blown. Not this time though. I've always said I love the cash part, but I love the WINNING part even MORE. For this one season, I am.....THE BEST. For Kenny, it had to be disappointing that he couldn't take advantage the majority of my team underperforming. It's still an amazing accomplishment to get to the finals and $150 in your pocket isn't too shabby at all. To get that close, but not close enough, sucks for Kenny, but I have no doubt he'll always be a major player in our league, and this season can be labeled as nothing short of a success. Another year is in the books, and I'd like to thank everyone in the league, for playing and participating. I hope everyone had fun overall cause that's what it's all about..fun (I know...I know, now that I won a championship I can start using the cliche bullshit). For me, it never ends, me, Albert, Kenny, Drew, and Ryan, now must focus on Basketball and that league but I think I can take a couple of days to let it all sink in and enjoy the moment. I'll be doing the Year-End Awards sometime this week and then it's a several month hiatus until next season! Thanks again to everyone for making this league successful, a league is only as good as the players in it, and we've got a great league of people who play the right way. We'll do this alllllll again next season!!

Wane McGarity Bowl MVP
LeSean McCoy (Danny's Little Giants)
133 rushing yards, 2 rushing TD's, 6 receptions, 29 receiving yards, 30 points
Chicago Bears v Philadelphia Eagles


Other League Notes:  I am very proud to announce that Dad placed in the top 3 taking out Mike in the 3rd place game. Dad placing is huge, and I'm glad he was able to get some playoff success and finish in the top 3. Congrats Dad!! Eugene's team caught fire a little too late, but at least he finished #7 thanks to a win against Matt. Leland actually beat Drew in the 9th place game as we know now the official standings of the league with everything 100% done. Here's the final look as the official placing of the teams in the Wane McGarity Bowl.

Champion-Danny's Little Giants (Me)
2nd place-Not Even Lying (Kenny)
3rd place-The Bad Robofies (Dad)
4th place-Welcome 2 Goodburger (Mike)
5th place-Bigger Balls (Mayra)
6th place-Shock The Monkey (Mark)
7th Place-Springville-Warrior (Eugene)
8th Place-Dr. Light's Robots (Matt)
9th Place-Nexxxxt!!! (Leland)
10th Place-I'M A Paul Heyman Guy (Drew)
11th Place-Hoosier Daddy (Ryan)
12th Place-Channel 4 News Team (Albert)

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment