Friday, October 14, 2016

Thursday Night Overview/Week 5 Awards

Denver Broncos v San Diego Chargers : News Photo 
Welp...it was another mediocre ass Thursday night game last night as once again the Thursday night game provided tons of disappointment (like it usually does). For the 2nd straight week, lucky for me, I had no plays, but my opponent did and so far this season, that hasn't ended well. Unfortunately for Leland, he's the first opponent of mine who hasn't taken advantage of the Thursday Night matchup as Demaryius Thomas was awful. 5 catches for 35 yards and a fumble. A 4 point play. Because I'm me and I'm pessimistic, I'll give Leland words of encouragement. First of all, Thomas is basically the 6th best player in Leland's lineup. It's not like David Johnson bombed. It's a survivable bust. Look at Ryan last week, got 1.6 from John Brown and still beat my Dad by 20 points and scored nearly 130 points, so although disappointment, I honestly feel like it changes nothing about our matchup because Leland still has the better overall team (even MORE this week with me out Mike Evans and Jerrick McKinnon who are on byes). That leads me to my next point..look at my team. If you don't think I have 3 or 4 guys who can basically bust like Demaryius did, you're insane. My team has little upside, and when you're relying on Alex Smith, Arian Foster and Bilal Powell to lead you to victory, you realize why you're 1-4 about to be 1-5. It's not intimidating whatsoever. I'm not falling for the trap...the false hope. I'll still lose and lose easily. The only bright spot of the night was Ryan's tight end, Hunter Henry. It seems like he's found a really good one as Henry had 85 and a score and was the only fantasy player to exceed expectations. With Ryan looking to keep his undefeated streak on the line, this was a HUGE play for him. For everyone else, there was the disappointing (Emmanuel Sanders finishing for 4 catches for 40 yards and getting hurt for Dad, Tyrell Williams going for 3 catches for 28 yards for Matt, and Travis Benjamin only catching 3 balls for 17 yards and also losing a fumble for Alex) and then there was the mediocre "he did average, but could've done a lot better" (71 total yards for C.J. Anderson for Mike and 94 rushing yards for Melvin Gordon). None of it really sways any matchups, just a whole bunch of shitty football. I really wish those Thursday Night Games would die a fiery death. Anyways, onto the Week 5 Awards.

Wane McGarity Stud Of The Week
Marcus Mariota (SCLSU MudDogs)
Tennessee Titans v Miami Dolphins : News Photo 
Gonna give credit where credit is due, Alex didn't panic without Brees, he didn't even bother to worry about how awful Mariota had been the past 3 games, he just plugged him and hoped for the best and the best he got. He was rewarded with 4 total TD's and nearly 34 points. It's a big reason he was able to pull off the upset against Leland.

Michael Wiley Dud Of The Week
Eli Manning (Bay Area Tanners)
New York Giants v Green Bay Packers : News Photo 
I'm sure there were worse statistical plays, but this guy has torpedoed me all season and in a week where I had another viable starter (Andy Dalton) and I only lost by 10 points, I stuck by this shitsack and watched him once again fuck me over in grand fashion. I don't get Eli at all. I know the offensive line is a problem, but Eli himself has looked like dogshit most of the year with terrible passes. It sucks because you look at the pathetic running game and the depth of receivers (he's got fucking ODELL BECKHAM for crying out loud, how the FUCK do you SUCK when you get to throw to THAT GUY), and when he has juicy matchups you think to yourself..."this is the week he finally gets it together" and nope he fucking sucks again. He's thrown 2 TD passes IN 4 WEEKS.....2!! This was supposed to be one of those "breakthrough" weeks because the Packers secondary is in shambles and the only thing that can stop is the run. Didn't matter, Eli was fucking worthless and the only reason his performance wasn't even worse was because Odell Beckham saved his ass with a circus catch TD. He's more than deserving of this award.

Drew Bennett Sneaky Surprise Award
Jacquizz Rodgers (Woe Is You)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Carolina Panthers : News Photo 
Mike had to roll the dice with Rodgers after Charles Sims was put on IR. It was a risky play against a pretty good run defense. Luckily the Bucs decided to concentrate on establishing a run game (by giving Rodgers the ball 30 damn times) and he was able to rush for over 100 yards and seal Mike's narrow 5 point win against Mark. 

Jay Cutler Bad Decision Award
I played Eli over Andy Dalton
Cincinnati Bengals v Dallas Cowboys : News Photo 
So my original plan was to play Andy Dalton over Eli again just because of how shit Eli's been. Two things stopped me from doing this. I played Dalton the week before and he barely had over 15 points and that was against a shit Dolphins team and Eli had a tantalizing matchup against Green Bay's depleted secondary which smelled like a Sunday Night Shootout. I worried that the way the Cowboys dominate time of possession and the conservative nature of the Bengals offense, it would be another Dalton "better in real life than fantasy" performance. I ended up dropping Dalton altogether. For 3 quarters...I was right as the Cowboys just destroyed the Bengals on offense and DEFENSE and Andy Dalton couldn't get anything going. Then garbage time came, and Dalton's two TD's to Brandon LaFell catapulted him in to a nice a 24 point performance. Doesn't matter how or why, in fantasy he got the job done. Then Eli played...and like I said earlier...he was complete dogshit. Had I stayed the course, I would've beaten Matt.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment